Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Ladies Get It Right...Sorta

For the first time in this season's Canadian Idol, the girls finally stepped up and showed that they can at least compete with the boys. Here's my thoughts on how the final 7 ladies performed:

Annika Odegard: Annika shocked me. Going into tonight's show, I thought she was a sure bet to be sent home this week. However, she plunked herself behind a piano for her performance of "Ordinary Day", and she really hit this one out of the park! She was awesome! Her voice sounded good, she was energetic, and the judges finally saw what they hoped to see from her. This was easily my favourite female performance of this season. Annika just might've saved her chances of getting into the Top 10.

Khalila Glanville: No doubt, Khalila's got a powerful voice. Her performance tonight was old-school soul, and it wasn't really my style. I agreed with Sass that she's lacking the "wow" factor. She's just one of those forgettable performers, and while she's got talent in spades, she just doesn't bring a whole lot of charisma to the stage.

Carly Rae Jepsen: I didn't know Carly's song tonight, but it was a nice acoustic performance, and that's Carly's niche. I really liked it, and I can actually imagine myself buying a Carly Rae CD someday. She's got a cutesy look, and she knows her own strengths & style. She should be a shoe-in for the Top 10.

Tara Oram: Tara's probably my favourite of all the girls, and she sure didn't stray far from her country roots with Martina McBride's "When God-Fearin' Women Get the Blues". It was clearly a fun song for Tara to perform - she looked like she was having a ball, and it really demonstrated her powerful pipes. If country's looking for a new "IT-girl", Tara might just be the one to fill that position.

Montana Martin Isles: OK, so I've made it clear that I detest Montana. But to give credit where credit is due, I actually didn't mind her act tonight - she laid off the ridiculous, creepy stageshow, and just played guitar and sang Alanis' "Ironic". It was the first time I think I actually heard her sing. It wasn't great, but it wasn't as God-awful as the theatrics she's displayed in the past. I disagree with Zack's statement that the accent doesn't matter, though - I find it really distracting when she can't pronounce her "th" words. The judges love her "x-factor", but to me, she's just an oddball, and that doesn't necessarily make someone a star.

Martha Joy: Martha Joy can sing, there's no doubt about it. But I really didn't enjoy this week, when she sang "That's the Way It Is" by Celine Dion. I thought she was pitchy. I thought her voice clashed with the back-up singers. I thought she sounded like she was shouting by the end. I thought she still lacked the "joy" the judges had demanded. But apparently, they were watching a different performance, because they contradicted everything I thought. Guess that's why I'm not a judge!

Mila Miller: I didn't know Mila's song either, but it was something about going to rehab. She rolled around on a piano and acted all coy for the camera, and while it was a fun song, I wasn't all that impressed. She's got a star quality, but I just didn't get it tonight. It's too bad, 'cause I think she could've really blown everyone away tonight.

Who Will Be Going Home: Khalila Glanville and Mila Miller

Who I Want To Send Home: Montana Martin Isles. Just her. I really don't like her. She can go jump on a boat with Tyler Mullendore and sail far, far away from here, as far as I'm concerned.

Best Performance of the Night: Easily, for me, it was Annika Odegard on the piano. She really won me over tonight. Carly Rae Jepsen was a close runner-up.

So the girls did much, much better, and I can't wait to see who will be making the Top 10 tomorrow night. Then the REAL competition can begin!!