Thursday, May 19, 2011

The 3 Finalists Sing 3 Songs On American Idol With One Week til The Finale

My favorite of the night this week on American Idol was Haley Reinhart. Next week is the finale. I'm guessing the final two will be Haley and Scotty McCreery. I am often wrong about such things.

This week during the bloated two hour show, the singers sang three songs. Song #1 was the contestant's choice. Song #2 was Jimmy Iovine's choice. Song #3 was the Judges' choice.

In round 1 Beyonce was the guest mentor. Near as I can tell guest mentors do the pseudo mentoring in order to promote their latest video or album or movie.

Scotty McCreery was the first up with Beyonce, singing the song of his choice, "Amazed" by Lone Star. Jimmy Iovine chose "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not?" by Thompson Square. While the judges chose "She Believes in Me," by Kenny Rogers.

I thought Scotty did fine with all three songs.

Lauren Alaina was up next. She sure seems older than her 16 years. A very likable cutie. Lauren chose "Wild One" by Faith Hill for her Beyonce mentored song. Jimmy Iovine chose "If I Die Young, by The Band Perry for the young singer. The judges chose that done to death "I Hope You Dance" song by Lee Ann Womack.

I did not like Lauren's songs as much as I did Scotty's.

And then there was Haley Reinhart. Haley chose Led Zeppelin's "What Is and What Should Never Be," accompanied, on guitar, by her dad. Best of the night in my tone deaf opinion. Jimmy picked "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac. The judges picked Alanis' "You Oughta Know" which may have been the worst of the night.

So, I'm guessing it is either Haley or Lauren who get to the boot tonight. I though Haley was the best of the night. But Lauren may attract a lot of those younger voters who view Haley as an older woman.

I suppose I will be fast forwarding through the results show tonight.