Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Beyonce Names New Album '4'

House Of Dereon's Main Wig Beyonce is Billboard's next cover story, and in the mag's interview with the "Run The World (Girls)" singer, her upcoming fourth solo album's title is revealed to be 4. (Hey — numbers seem to be working for Adele these days, right?)

Weavonce tells the publication:
"We all have special numbers in our lives, and 4 is that for me. It's the day I was born. My mother's birthday, and a lot of my friends' birthdays, are on the fourth; April 4 is my wedding date.

"I recorded more than 60 songs: everything I ever wanted to try, I just did it. I started off being inspired by [Afrobeat music pioneer] Fela Kuti. I actually worked with the band from Fela! [the hit Broadway musical based on his life] for a couple of days, just to get the feel for the soul and heart of his music; it's so sexy, and has a great groove you get lost in. I loved his drums, all the horns, how everything was on the one. What I learned most from Fela was artistic freedom: he just felt the spirit. I also found a lot of inspiration in '90s R&B, Earth, Wind & Fire, DeBarge, Lionel Richie, Teena Marie... I listened to a lot of Jackson 5 and New Edition, but also Adele, Florence + the Machine, and Prince."
Later she offered up this diva-like statement: "At this point, I really know who I am, and don't feel like I have to put myself in a box. I'm not afraid of taking risks - no one can define me."

This may be true. Also hard to define: why it's taking so damn long for the "Run The World" video to premiere. Here's the third teaser: