Thursday, May 5, 2011

Katy Perry at June Vanity Fair magazine Issue 2011

Katy Perry sizzles on the cover of the June Vanity Fair magazine, and in the issue she discusses her career, life with husband Russell Brand, and her religious upbringing.

During her childhood, things were so strict around her house that her mother only read her the Bible, she wasn't allowed to say "deviled eggs" or refer to "Dirt Devil" vacuum cleaners, and she relied on friends to sneak her all the latest CDs.

But she's past all of that now, and despite their differences, she still gets along with her parents.

"I think sometimes when children grow up, their parents grow up. Mine grew up with me. We coexist. I don't try to change them anymore," she says, "And I don't think they try to change me.

"We agree to disagree. They're excited about [my success]. They're happy that things are going well for their three children and that they're not on drugs. Or in prison."

Perry, who married British comedian Brand last fall, says that there's "never a dull moment" in their lives and that the couple credits some of their success to keeping their relationship private and not selling out to the press.

"The press is just not your friend when it comes to a marriage. That's why we didn't sell the pictures of our wedding, and we got offered millions of dollars for them, millions," she says.

But when it comes down to it, she doesn't let the press get to her.

"I don't care what people say about my relationship; I don't care what they say about my boobs. People are buying my songs; I have a sold-out tour. I'm getting incredible feedback from my music," she says.

The "Firework" singer also compares her career to an artichoke - saying, "People might think that the leaves [of an artichoke] are tasty and buttered up and delicious, and they don't even know that there's something magical hidden at the base of it. There's a whole other side [of me] that people didn't know existed."

Katy may not care what the press says about her, but we do have to say this: everyone knows what's at the center of an artichoke.