Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Canadian Idol Withdrawals

Last night was Monday night. For the past three months or so, Monday nights have been Canadian Idol nights, and last night, there was no Idol for me to watch.

I was a little sad. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to get through this particular Monday night without my Idol fix.

Fortunately, I had taped many of the episodes over the course of the summer, especially back in the Oliver & Sebastian Pigott days. So to the chagrin of my brother, who would much rather have been playing Guitar Hero or watching football, I subjected him to watching old snippets of Idol - not all of it, but anything that had Oliver or Sebastian in it, and then some of my other favourite performances (like Amberly's "Redemption Song", Theo's "Weak in the Knees", Mitch's "I'm Yours", Earl's "Two").

I know. I'm pathetic. But honestly, what else am I supposed to do until hockey starts? It seems to me that I go through this gap every year, when I miss watching Idol, but there's no Sens action to divert my attention.


I think I've figured out what my problem is. I have this incessant need to cheer for someone. Whether it's a team like the Sens, or a performer on Idol like Oliver & Sebastian, I'm always - always - rooting someone on. Like I'm tied to them by some cosmic force, and I just can't let go. And truth be told, I think I'm living vicariously through them. I'm not an athlete; I'm not a particularly good musician or singer. Despite wishing and trying, I basically suck. So by clinging on to someone who actually can do it, whether it be sports or music, I get to feel the ups & the downs, the joys & the pain, of being in that position.

My little passions - they are my drug. So when I'm all out, I do seem to go into withdrawals.

That's why I keep that stash of old tapes on hand - when I hit bottom, they always seem to get me through. ;)