Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cougar Town, "Stop Dragging My Heart Around": The ex file

I'm again mostly taking the day off to recover from press tour, but I thought last night's "Cougar Town" was another strong one. When I talked with Bill Lawrence last week about "Scrubs," he also said that he realized a few episodes into this show that the "attractive older woman dates hot younger guys" premise wasn't all that interesting, and that the show worked much better as an ensemble about this makeshift family Jules had created around herself. That was clearly the right way to go, and it's led to good recurring gags like Grayson's songwriting or Andy's role as secret-keeper/blackmailer, and it's allowed characters like Bobby and Laurie to get a little deeper without taking away all the funny things Brian Van Holt and Busy Philipps have been doing.

So just as soon as I jam out some lyrics and point out that Jules and Bobby were watching "Scrubs" in one scene, what did you guys think?