Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A Tale of Two Hockey Teams

Remember that hockey team I boasted about last week? The one that beat the Detroit Red Wings 3-2, and the goalie absolutely stood on his head?

Well, they played again Saturday night. Only this time, it was the Buffalo Sabres they beat, and once again, that same goalie stole the show.

So, what I'd like to know, as a fan of that team, is who the hell was playing the Boston Bruins last night? Or the Nashville Predators, or the Columbus Blue Jackets in recent days? You know, that team that lost 7-2, 6-0, 6-2 (or something along those lines).

That certainly wasn't my team. Not that well-oiled, smooth-running, red-black-and-gold machine with the hot young 'tender between the pipes. Instead, every second game, these other bums keep showing up. These lazy, nonchalant, far-too-fancy, lackadaisacal bunch of flunkies, who are not turning my crank.

It appears to be a severe case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. From one night to the next, we the fans have no idea which one will be making an appearance. How can they play so hard against some of the best teams in the league, and then be a complete bust against teams they should be beating? At this level, at this stage in the game, when fighting in an air-tight Eastern Conference for a playoff position, every game should be huge. They should be "getting up" for every opponent, no matter how mighty or lowly. Motivation should not be a factor - they should be giving their 110% every night. Every night.

So why, then, are they not?? Emery cannot be faulted; he has had no support, especially last night. And on a night when it should have all been about making The Big Z regret leaving Ottawa, it would appear that Mr. Chara got the last laugh.

I'm completely discouraged and disenchanted with my Sens. One night, I'm thinking They're back!!! and the next they've got me thinking What the...??? Consistency has been an issue all season long, and it has especially become a problem in the past two weeks. People were blaming it on the absence of Alfie, Schaefer, and Redden. Well, last night, the only piece missing from the puzzle was Wade, so that's no longer an excuse.

I was wrapping presents last night while watching the game, and it was putting a serious dent in my Christmassy mood. I'm getting a little sick of wondering Which team is going to show up tonight?? We've now hit a part of the schedule in which we will be playing 15 of 20 games at home, and I'm going to be in attendance for two of those games, so I'm justifiably starting to worry that it could be a huge waste of my money.

The only good thing about it all??

The Leafs lost last night too. And that always brings a smile to my face.