Tuesday, May 25, 2010

American Idol Season 9 (Casey's Idol Experience)

Soon after Casey James was eliminated in third place from American Idol’s ninth season, the Texan talked about his hometown visit, keeping his cool on Idol, and the future.
During Casey’s last week on American Idol, he was sent home to Cool, Texas for a hometown celebration. “The whole trip was so amazing. I just remember looking around and being at home and feeling really good, but I think there was definitely a moment. I was at the Keys playing with some guys that I used to play with a lot…A good friend of mine, Mace Mabin, who plays a lot or used to play a lot in the Dallas, Fort Worth area, he’s got cancer. He found out right before I left for the show, and he is doing his best to kick that cancer’s butt, and he was there. I know how sick he is and how weak and everything, but he made the trip to see me…It was really overwhelming. I’m sitting there doing what I love to do, and he was there, and all my friends and family are there, and the place is packed. That moment was very intense for me.”

The whole Idol experience can be intense, but the musician from Cool always kept his cool. He shares his secret, “It’s like any situation in life that is difficult, you just do what you can, and that’s what I did. It definitely is demanding, but the payoff – even if it had been 100th of the audience – would still be a million percent worth it. It’s definitely taxing, but a lot of people work a lot harder than me for a lot less. You just have got to keep in mind, stay thankful for the opportunity to be where you’re at and work as hard as you can, and that’s what I think everybody in the situation does.”

Since Casey made it all the way to the second to last week in the competition, he was able to work with every mentor that helped out on Season 9. Casey loved working with all of the mentors, but one made a particular impression on him. “Harry Connick Jr. was amazing. All the mentors were really great, but he took the time to do the music, and he brought his band. He wrote the scores…He even came into iTunes [recording session] and stopped by and made sure we were okay there. He put a lot of time in, and that, to me, said a lot about who he is as a person and a musician…I could sit down with him and say, ‘What do you think about this or what do you think about that,’ and get his actual honest opinion. That to me is advice. That’s the most wisdom you can gain from somebody, just sitting down and really talking to them.”

Casey can only be proud of himself for making it to third place. Many of American Idol’s past third placers have very successful careers. Casey explains, “I’m the kind of guy that accepts what happens and is always happy about it. Had I gotten second or first, obviously I’d be happy, but I can tell you that I am definitely happy with where I landed. I continue to say it, but what always remains to be true is that everything happens for a reason, and you just have to roll with it and be happy, and I certainly am. I’m elated to have landed here, and I’m going to make the most of it.”

You won’t have Casey withdrawals for long. He’ll perform on the season finale, along with all of the Top 12 finalists. Then, he’ll get to rehearse with the Top 10 and tour the country with them all summer long. After that, Casey’s plans consist of “a record and going and doing music. It’s time to get started. The reason for the show is to allow us to do music, and that’s what I intend on doing because it’s what I love, and now I have the opportunity to do it, so it’s go time.”

Hear what else Casey had to say in his Curtain Call interview.