Monday, November 20, 2006

Friday Night Poker

Good morning, gang!

Well, I hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was quite entertaining. The big highlight was learning to play Poker on Friday night. Well, sort of. I'm not very good at it, and I lost $10, but it seemed like a game I could get good at if I didn't have to fork out cash everytime I wanted to get some practice in.

My fellow card players, all who had played before, ran a few practice hands with me before we had to dig into our pockets, so I was grateful for that. And once we started playing for money, I just figured I'd fold every time unless I had a "sure thing". However, after observing the rest of the group and the plays they were making persuaded me a little more gutsy, and I even tried bluffing. (Once, I was bluffing and I didn't even know it. I was going for a "small straight". Apparently that doesn't count unless it's in Yahtzee. But it worked. I won that hand.) I wasn't all that smart about it, though, and I was the first one out, naturally. That forced me into the role of Dealer. At least, until someone else went out, than I was demoted to Beer Bitch.

So the next day, I asked baby brother Lukey if only two people could play Poker. He said, yeah, certainly, why not? So I asked him what one would do if one had no Poker chips. He informed me that one cannot play without Poker chips. I asked him if, perhaps, I hacked into my piggy bank and used quarters, would that suffice? He said no. I think he could tell where this was heading. But I asked anyways: Please, Luke, if I figure out a way to play without chips, would you help me practice?

His reply?

"I only play Poker for money."

Yep, that's exactly what he said. As if he was some kind of high-roller or something. Some kind of Poker Master. Of course, he was the one who pocketed the pot on Friday night, and nevermind that he owes me $40 - he wouldn't fork it over.

But above all, he neglected his God-given duty to be a kind & supportive brother and help me learn to play.

But ya know what? There are other ways to learn how to play Poker. And I'm gonna figure 'em out. And before you know it, I'm going to be taking that money back from right underneath his nose.

If it's the last thing I do, I'm going to get good at Poker.

And my message to brother Luke is this: Keep yer head up, buddy.