Sunday, November 5, 2006

The Great Kidnapping of 2006

This past weekend, I was involved in a very serious crime. I've never taken part in any criminal activity before. I admit it, I've lived a pretty sheltered life. I've always avoided potentially incriminating situations; I don't know if I ever had a detention in school, I've only ever received one traffic ticket.

I'm an honest, God-fearing, law-abiding citizen.

Until this weekend.

This weekend, I helped kidnap someone.

Okay, so it was just Stacy, and Sara was my accomplice. And we just had to bring her to a baby shower in my basement Saturday afternoon. And although we had plans of attacking her and tying her up and tossing her in the back of the Rav like a fugitive or something, we took into consideration that she is pregnant and we really didn't want to harm her or the baby.

Stacy made things easy on us. She was an ideal kidnapping victim. After Sara & I gave Oscar-worthy performances while touring the baby's room, we finally sprung the whole We have to kidnap you thing on Stace, and she just said, "Oh yeah? Where are we going?" She was reluctant to be blindfolded, but we convinced her she had no other option. It really didn't matter, because even though I drove around town a little trying to disorient her, she knew exactly where we were at all times. Either she has an uncanny sense of direction, or she could see through that scarf we tied around her head.

In any case, we brought her back to my place where a nice gathering of friends & family were waiting for the big surprise. We had some fun playing a few baby shower games, then Stacy opened her gifts, and I think she got a nice array of neccessities - everything from clothes, blankets, teethers, a piggy bank, a baby book, a diaper bag, baby seats and an especially-cute Ottawa Senators onesie (from guess who?), and much more. Then we snacked on some of our "favourites" - Sara's famous cheese ball, pumpernickel & spinach dip, nacho dip (made by the lovely Vicky Leach, another new reader of the Blog - hi Vick!), veggies & dip, Mexican roll-ups, chips, party mix, and a Winnie the Pooh cake, courtesy of Lizard (aka my mama). Thanks to all who helped out with this special occasion!

Congratulations, Stacy! Hope you had a good time, and we can't wait to meet Madyson!

Saturday night, I had the wonderful opportunity to chaperone Sara & Graham on their date to the movies. I hope someday to be able to go on my own dates, but until then, I'm glad my friends occasionally let me third-wheel it with them. We went to see The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause. It was an extremely cute movie, and I loved it - not sure if it was better than the original, but I enjoyed it more than the second installment. Tim Allen, of course, reprises his role as the Big Guy himself, and he and the Mrs. have a little one on the way. They invite Mrs. Claus' parents to visit them in the Pole, but in order to protect the SOS (the Secret of Santa), they must transform Santa's Workshop into Canada. Yup, that's right. Canada. (Did you know Americans don't put vinegar on their french fries? I had no idea.) Anyways, amidst all this action, we also have Jack Frost trying to trick Santa into handing the responsibilities of St. Nick over to him. I very quickly learned to hate Jack Frost.

Some of my favourite moments included the ridiculous references to Canada, and the fact that the in-laws truly believed that Canadians are all little people with funny ears. Also, the Board of Legendary Figures, featuring Mother Nature, Father Time, Cupid, the Tooth Fairy, the Sandman, and especially the Easter Bunny, were good for a few chuckles, too. I also think it's really cool that the same kid who played Charlie twelve years ago is back to play the role once again.

As the lights dimmed and the movie began, Graham threatened to shout out, "Santa's not real!" for the benefit of the children in the audience, but luckily, Sara shushed him. He was actually very good about it all, and I think I even heard him laugh a few times. When all was said and done, he said it was an okay movie. And he gets the gold star for willingly going along to see a Santa movie in early November and not even complaining.

The movie isn't going to win any Academy Awards, but if you feel the need to get into the Christmas spirit, and you have some little people you want to bring along, I definitely think you should check it out.

Waking up to snow on the ground the following morning really got me in the spirit, I can tell you that!

Oh, and yes, the Sens lost again. Bah humbug.