Friday, November 3, 2006

You're Either the Chicken or the Pig

Last night was a big night for me & my TV. I was able to catch The O.C. and Grey's Anatomy. No Survivor recap yet, as I'll be watching that tape tonight. So please, for you Survivor fans out there who watched last night, no spoilers!

I'm going to leave The O.C. recap for Sharon to do, as I know she mentioned yesterday that she would like to give her take on things. But I will say this: I enjoyed last night's season premiere more than most of the episodes I watched last year. Things are looking up with Marissa gone. And my gosh, I just adore Seth. His whole comic book thing brought tears to my eyes. But I'll leave that for Sharon to explain!

So, I know I'm practically the only one who watches it, but it brings me great joy to write about Grey's Anatomy. And this is my world, so here she goes...

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before, but I love this show.

This week, Izzie started back in the intern program full time, with Dr. Bailey again as her resident. While the Chief gave Izzie strict guidelines to follow, Bailey added a dozen more, and she instructed Izzie to shadow a different doctor everyday until Bailey feels she can trust her again. On Day 1 she had to follow Meredith around like a little puppy dog. While Izzie was obviously a little put out that she was being treated with kid gloves, she made the best of it. "Meredith's my boss. Meredith's the boss of me," she murmered with a little grin on her face.

Of course, Izzie fell right back into her old pattern of growing too attached to the patient, despite Meredith's best efforts to stop her, but it turned out Izzie's concerns for their burn victim were valid. Once they dug a little deeper, they discovered the law student was purposely burning her hand to avoid taking the bar exam for the sixth time. She was so desperate to avoid the humiliation of failing again, she held the palm of her hand to a burner on her stove. Izzie's sensitivity to her patient's plight prevented her from further injuring herself.

Cristina, meanwhile, was the envy of all the other interns, as she continues to help Dr. Burke hide the secret that his hands are still not quite healed. Cristina has become manic about aiding him, changing the surgery board to accomodate him and ensuring that she's scrubbing in for every surgery with him. This week, Burke was scheduled to perform a rare "Humpty Dumpty" surgery - they take out the heart, tear it apart, then put it back together again - which Dr. Bailey really wanted in on, so she added her name to the board. Cristina secretly erased her name to prevent her from discovering Burke's secret. However, that move only added to Bailey's insecurities that the other doctors are doubting her competence since the Denny Duquette fiasco.

Then there was Meredith & McDreamy. It had been a week since she told Derek she let Finn go, and he still hadn't called her. So Meredith decided to take the bull by the horns and drop in on Derek for a chat - where she discovered another woman in his bed. And McDreamy was standing there wearing nothing but a towel. Oh baby, that was hot.

Of course, Meredith jumped to conclusions, so Derek quickly clarified for her that his sister was visiting. His sister Nancy, who Izzie quickly nicknamed "McBitchy". Poor McDreamy was put through the ringer as Nancy caught up with her old friends, Addison & Mark - aka, McDreamy's ex-wife & ex-best friend. Couldn't be easy to see his sister fraternizing with the enemies. Anyhow, once he cleared it all up with Meredith, they agreed to take some time to clear their heads before jumping into a relationship. And the Mer & Der Saga continues...

My favourite of the moment of the night, though, has to go to George. In dealing with a pregnant woman with two uteruses (not "uteri", as George initially thought), the woman's fiancé went through a lengthy explanation of how in a relationship, you have to be either the ham or the eggs. If you're the eggs, you're just involved. If you're the ham, then you're committed. This inspired George to go begging for Callie's forgiveness, telling her he was the chicken and she was the pig. Her mouth dropped. "George, did you just call me a pig?" she demanded, in shocked horror. It cracked me up...Poor George just can't win.

My other observation of the night is that McSteamy is not as McSteamy as I thought. I think he's got grey hair, and not in a sexy way like George Clooney's. And his mustache is not attractive. Meredith's definitely getting the better end of the deal with McDreamy. Plus, he's being a real ass to Alex. Now, I know Alex has a bit of a reputation of being an ass himself, but that doesn't mean he should have to be McSteamy's slave just because he wants to get into his specialty of plastic surgery. I love it that Alex is having a hard time breaking away from the gynie squad, and that he blew off one of McSteamy's stupid tasks to take part in the two-uterus surgery. Alex is so good with kids - he definitely needs to get over the plastics and get into the baby stuff. When the baby George was trying to hold still in the womb started moving too much, Alex jumped in to help by talking steady, rhyming off facts about Muhammed Ali - a proven way of calming a baby down, and it worked. It was so sweet. Have I mentioned lately that I love Alex? Did I pick him back on that "Which Doctor Would I Pick?" Blog for my boyfriend? 'Cause if I didn't, I've changed my mind. I want him.

Alright, so none of you watch this show, but I love it. I really, really love it. My apologies for going on & on, because I know you don't care. I truly am sorry.

But I just can't help it.

Have a good weekend, gang!